Granted, 2022 is not a licensure renewal year for licensed SC RCPs; however, the SCSRC often is asked questions regarding continuing education requirements for license renewal. The timeframe for the next cycle is as noted below, as well as the CE sponsoring organizations, and approved contact hours for such classes as ACLS, PALS, BLS, etc. Please note: the SCSRC is not responsible for licensure renewal in any way. This is presented as information only; any questions, concerns, etc. should be directed to the SC Labor, Licensing and Regulation department, https://llr.sc.gov.
Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) Renewal and Continuing Education Information
Continuing Education Timeframe – You must have completed at least thirty (30) hours of continuing education in the RENEWAL PERIOD (June 1, 2021 to May 31, 2023).
RCPs in their FIRST renewal cycle after receiving their initial permanent license are NOT required to complete CME for this renewal period only.
- Continuing education sponsorship – courses must be approved or sponsored by one of the following organizations:
- American Association for Respiratory Care, Inc. or its sponsoring organizations
- American Heart Association
- American Lung Association
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- South Carolina Society for Respiratory Care
- Allied Health Education Centers of the South Carolina Consortium of Community Teaching Hospitals (AHEC)
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Accredited institutional continuing education programs:
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- Approved Number of Contact Hours
BLS Initial 6 BLS refresher (PHR/PHB BLS, etc.) 3 PALS Initial (2 day class) 12 PALS Refresher 6 ACLS Initial 12 ACLS Refresher 6 NRP Initial 6 NRP Refresher 3