2015: Year in Review
Thank you for a great 2015, and I am looking forward to another great 2016. With the continued growth and development of our state society, we each play an integral part in the future of our profession in South Carolina. It is my plan in 2016 to continue the outstanding work that has brought us to this point. In 2015, we brought the Summit Award back to our state and developed a robust scholarship program, including the presentation of the 1st Trish Blakely Award. The Trish Blakely Award was developed in honor of one of our state’s finest examples of professionalism and integrity. Trish Blakely was a founding member of our state society. In addressing professionalism, congratulations to our own Jakki Grimball as she assumes leadership of the House of Delegates as Speaker! What an honor and testament to our strong organization. We saw the improvement of our website and one of the truly best state conferences around! We have a lot to be proud of and we have a lot to look forward to. It won’t be easy, but with the talent of our SCSRC members, we can do anything. I am looking forward to working with each and every one of you this year in making our South Carolina Society once again, the Best in the Country!
Below are the goals for the SCSRC for 2016.
Most mirror the National Agenda as outlined by our President, Mr. Salvatore. Some are a continuation of groundwork laid in 2015, and some are bold reaches that will test our abilities. Thank you in advance for your hard work, confidence and dedication that you will put into your profession and your BOD this year.
2016: SCSRC GOALS
- Continue to support the development of educational opportunities for our members and non-members. To support and drive the CEU program to institutions and to focus on the continued development and implementation of the Ambassador Program.
- Focus resources on the further development of the SCSRC Website. Investigate corporate sponsorship in advertising on the website and the newsletter. Develop resources such as podcasting, improved resource pages and links, streaming of educational events and other potential revenue streams to help support the website and newsletter.
- Investing in the continued growth of student leadership within the state. Develop a SCSRC Student BOD that would participate in meetings, have a set agenda of goals, aid in membership drives, and most importantly, to develop our future leaders by exposing them to organized leadership events.
- Enhance committee support with an improved meeting structure. Monthly calls with the BOD and/or President to monitor progress, brainstorm ideas and to offer support for new drives and initiatives. This may also be applied to all committee chairs to ensure open communication and to help committees stay on track and focused throughout the year.
- Increase our membership through new and alternative routes. This may be achieved through creative and innovative ideas, such as traveling to locations throughout the state to speak during department meetings and regional events. Growing our membership will be key to the success of our society for 2016 and beyond!
- Sponsor at least 1 student to go to the HOD meeting. As we look forward to building a strong society, we must focus our attention on building the future SCSRC Board. The best way we can accomplish this goal is to start getting our students involved and active in the process at the HOD. By sponsoring a student, we increase ties with our educators, students and academic institutions. Building these ties will help to strengthen our society moving into the future.
Looking at the year ahead, we ensure that our society offers the best leadership possible to sustain the great advances we have made over the last few years. With the help and guidance from this dedicated group of extremely talented and sincere therapists, we can and will make a difference to the future of our profession, both on a state and national level. We have put together an aggressive, yet attainable budget for this year and we are excited for the challenges that may lie ahead.
I encourage everyone to help by getting your staff and departments involved as much as possible. From PACT to committee work, there is something to interest everyone! We need to be the advocates for membership and participation in the society. We need to be our own best advertising and we need to strengthen our bonds with each other and our communities to guarantee continued growth.
I am confident that we will rise to the occasion and surpass our expectations for 2016! Get involved, stay active and help where you can!
Bryan Leatherwood- MHA, RRT- 2016 SCSRC President